PC diskette drives in a HP 9122C was WTB: HP-85 16k RAM Module and HPIB Floppy Drive

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 21:02:29 CST 2017

I have managed to get 2 PC type drives working in a 9122C they are two
different versions of the YE Data YD-702D.  The important thing is the
drive needs to provide a ready signal, diskette change and density.
Most drives provide the last two but do not have a ready signal.  You
also need to leave pin 1 unconnected this is a signal from the
controller to reset the diskette changed signal.  One of the drive the
YD-702D-6037 can also be altered by moving jumpers to get power from the
cable.  The other a YD-702D-6537D does not and it unfortunately seems to
be the more common drive.  I changed the drives so that ready is on Pin
34, diskette change on pin 2 and density on pin 4, the same as the Sony
drive in the 9122C.  I did encounter one problem where if I tried to CAT
a diskette it would always report that the diskette was changed or
missing and I recall encountering this previously, it may be related to
how the diskette changed signal gets reset. On most "standard" 3.5"
drives the diskette changed signal gets reset as soon as the drive is
selected and receives a step pulse. On the Sony drives used in the 9122C
reset the diskette changed signal by a pulse on pin 1 from the
controller.  What I think is happening is when media is changed, the
controller thinks it does not have to move the head so the diskette
changed never gets reset so the controller continues to think the
diskette has been changed, I will do more testing to verify.  I thought
that booting with the drive empty provoked this but that is not the
case.  I can post details of the modifications to the drives if anyone
is interested.

Paul.