DS12887 pcb substitute with battery

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Tue Nov 21 13:16:01 CST 2017

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017, systems_glitch wrote:

> Good stuff! I recently designed a module to build new DS1287 and DS12887
> modules from the bare DS1285 and DS12885 ICs:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/cgKm5

 Nice!

 That wouldn't solve my problem though, given the apparent unavailability
of DS1285 chips (in any packaging, whether surplus or used), compared with
the ubiquity of used DS1287 and DS1287A ones, possibly because they were
often socketed.  Using my systems as a reference for the Linux port I want
to avoid any deviation from their original specification so that software
does not make use of it by chance.

 As to the DS12887 and DS12887A chips -- these are still manufactured and
readily available, as someone mentioned a while ago, although a bit highly
priced, so either reworking an old one or using your alternative does help
cutting cost, which may especially matter if you need more than just a
few.

  Maciej