"Personal" Computers (Was: Details about IBM's early 'scientific' computers)

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 21:13:57 CST 2017

On 2017-11-15 10:07 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 07:09 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> Earlier, there was the SAGE computer (the air defense one, not the PC
>> by the same name), which had built-in ash trays at each operator
>> station.
> Ash trays??  HA, they had auto-style CIGARETTE LIGHTERS BUILT INTO the
> "radar screen" consoles!  Take a look at a photo!
>
> Jon
The IBM 803 proof machine developed in the late 40s had an ash tray
built in, it was the only IBM machine I ever saw that had one.    I
stood right in front of the scopes at a SAGE site but I don't recall the
ash trays or lighters. But I do remember the light guns, blue lighting
and the aful flash of the high persistance scope when they whrere drawn.

Paul.