HP 2640 character set generation manual in the UK

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Nov 9 03:55:12 CST 2017

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, CuriousMarc wrote:
> Awesome! The microcode listings would be fantastic too, as I also have a
> 2749 (which you are supposed to be able to program in assembly)! Let us know

The firmware is already on bitsavers, IIRC. But you can program every 264x
terminal in assembly. There are some games like Pong, Space Invaders etc.
for these terminals, both for the i8008 based 2640/2644 and the i8080
based 2645/2648. These terminals all have a special control code sequence
to load a binary file (either from tape or from the serial line) into
memory and start executing. It is "<ESC> & b".
A short description and sample program for the 8008 based terminals can
be found here:
http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/dev_en/hp2644/diag.html

Christian