Kryoflux or Catweasle

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed May 24 14:35:42 CDT 2017

On 05/24/2017 11:19 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:

> But who wants to write the software?

Yes, just so.  I learned about that one decades ago.

> I am building a 1977 ttl style computer because now I have spare time.
> Finding vintage or similar devices is being a challenge as well fighting
> modern OS to have even a C compiler and a TEXT editor.
> Technology is not better, just cheaper

Modern technology is not only cheaper, but it's faster and uses less
power--and is usually more flexible.

I suspect that a PDP-11 in FPGA is quite a bit more reliable than the
real thing--and when you're done you have a nice abstract description of
the hardware in VHDL format.

And yes, I have a pile of old CMOS/ECL/TTL logic.

Remember when CMOS logic was new-- +15V Vdd and 1MHz top speed?

--Chuck