BBS software for the PDP 11

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 06:39:27 CDT 2017

From: cctalk [cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] on behalf of Peter Corlett via cctalk [cctalk at classiccmp.org]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 6:45 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: BBS software for the PDP 11

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:25:44PM +0200, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> The plate on the back of my 11/93 says 345 Watts.  That's about a fifth what your
>> wifes hair dryer draws.  Or slightly more than 3 100 watt light bulbs
> Jesus wept.

> Are you certain that this alleged "hair dryer" is not in fact a hot-air paint
> stripper? And that the said "wife" is not in fact some form of robot with a
> heatproof coating?

I was more thinking of the several tens of kilolumens that you'd get from 345W
of modern high-efficiency LED lighting. It'd give you a decent tan, for a
start.

But, seriously, just how many households do you think have made the move
to LED lighting?  The amount of energy wasted in the average house, especially
those with wives and children (your wife never forget to turn off her curling iron?)
makes the power used by a QBUS PDP-11 pale in comparison.

bill