Hershey Fonts now 50 years old

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Thu May 11 21:08:42 CDT 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Shoppa, Tim via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I grew up with X-Y scope displays, their associated electrostatic printers, and Calcomp pen plotters. To draw letters and symbols on these, we used Fortran libraries driven by data tables to make "Hershey Characters".
>

> This year, the Hershey Font system and libraries turn 50 years old: https://books.google.com/books/about/Calligraphy_for_computers.html?id=qFFCAAAAIAAJ

Interesting to see the history of these fonts. To my eye, nothing else
looks quite correct on a mechanical CAD drawing.

> T<https://www.harrisgeospatial.com/docs/using_hershey_vector_fon.html>im N3QE

Does anyone else recognize Font 6, Complex Roman in older Japanese
technical documentation. The 2 and 7 are distinctive are particularly
distinctive.

-chuck