HP Draftmaster RX pen plotter needs love

David Collins (AU) david.collins at dimensiondata.com
Tue May 9 19:10:47 CDT 2017

Is there 42 Volts on both sides of the 42V fuse?   Seems odd that there's 42V to the switcher but no voltage at the other end but the fuse is intact.  Normally when the switcher blows, the main switching transistor shorts and takes out the supply fuse.

The power supply transistors are on the black heatsink near the transformer with the yellow label.  I'd be checking those to make sure they are OK using a transistor tester or multimeter on the 'diode' setting. I'd also check nearby diodes and transistors to make sure they are OK as well.  Tricky without a schematic that's for sure.

I have an RX that powers up but don’t have access to it until the weekend but I could try to assist with voltage checks to allow you to compare if that helps.

David Collins
HP Computer Museum
www.hpmuseum.net