Re: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Fri May 5 17:02:55 CDT 2017

On 05/05/2017 03:33 PM, Fred Cisin via cctech wrote:
> On Fri, 5 May 2017, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>> But I thought the problem was that most disk controllers can't do RX02.
>> Everybody doesn't have a Catweasel or Cryoflux.
>
> That's right.
> Chuck's suggestion would require that somebody who has a
> flux-transition device (Catweasel, Kryoflux, Central Point Option
> board, etc.) would have to do the sector imaging.
>
> Well, or, . . .
> somebody who has an RX02 setup, such as you or Allison, could image
> the sectors, instead of copying the files,  which might be appropriate
> if it turns out that the OS that these were created with is
> unavailable.   How many operating systems use RX02?

In the PDP-8 realm not less than two maybe others.
In the PDP-10 realm not less than a handful Tops10. ITC, more.
In the PDP-11 realm not less than four, RT11, RSTS, RSX11, TSX-11,
unix(several) and XXDP come to mind.
In the VAX realm not less than 3 come to mind, VMS, VAX-RT, Ultrix,
Unix, Others?

Different version may have also added variations.

Allison