Pair of Twiggys

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:46:03 CDT 2017

From: cctalk [cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] on behalf of Paul Koning via cctalk [cctalk at classiccmp.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:09 AM
To: Liam Proven; General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: Pair of Twiggys

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I'm not aware of any significant amount of GPL code in either. Linux
> has a regrettable history of nicking BSD-licensed code and slapping
> the GPL on it, but not the other way round, AFAIK.

I think taking BSD code and releasing a copy under GPL is technically permitted, though silly because the original BSD release would still apply so the GPL virus doesn't stick.  Of course, if you modify the original and license those mods under GPL, that makes a difference, that limits access to the mods (but only the mods).

As long as they retain the original Copyright notice as required by that Copyright
which seems to me to be a direct conflict if you then tried to put the GPL in there
too.

bill