Architectural diversity - was Re: Pair of Twiggys

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 13:41:11 CDT 2017

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> It wasn't until the microcomputer era with BASIC, I think that FORTRAN
> wasn't the first HLL to be contemplated for a new architecture.

Not quite true.  ALGOL was the first choice for a couple of architectures: Electrologica X8, and the Burroughs 48-bit mainframes.  And I supposed you could claim that status for Bliss in the case of VAXen, though in a different sense there was a whole set of high level languages that were there day 1 because the architecture envisioned all of them (and any combination of them).

	paul