DEC frontpanel switch replica!

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Wed Mar 15 21:27:21 CDT 2017

On 16.03.2017 03:19, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:
> For a prototype that looks very nice indeed!
Yess :-)

> I agree that for this level of molding precision the pivot axle would be better
> if done as a separate piece and press fitted.
Yes. Even if it is moulded perfectly - the axle will still be THE point
of failure. So the replica will be better than the original. BTW I did
not manage to break the replica...

> Steel would be fine, brass rod would
> also be ok and softer to machine.
We'll see.

> A small jig could be made to cross-drill the
> hole accurately.
I already planned that as a repair measure.

> Same for the side holes just using the depression as the centre
> point.
Side holes? What for? We'll make them without side holes I think. They
have no function and are nearly invisible.

> Your neighbour has done an excellent job there, well done. He ought to run off a few
> different DEC paddle switch designs and flog them on eBay :)
Still have to get him interested enough :-)
If there's enough demand, I'll probably manage the
distribution/shipping/ordering.

I think that he can make everything glossy. For matte finish, we'd need
a perfect original or see if we can somehow prepare the mould.