Tektronix Terminal Emulation

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Mar 11 11:47:47 CST 2017

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 3/11/2017 12:08 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk
>> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like using the laptop as a console because I can log my terminal
>>> session
>>> while I'm installing software, etc.  Kermit on debian linux comes without
>>> any terminal emulation for some reason.
>>
>> In general, kermit under Linux (and other unix-like operating systems)
>> expect you to start kermit from the terminal emulator of your choice,
>> and "inherits" whatever terminal emulation you have started it from.
>> FWIW, I've successfully done vt100 with kermit started from xterm.
>
> This is one of the things I will revisit. I'm still trying to compile
> programs on the vax that are designed to plot directly to a tek terminal
> connected to a serial port.  PGPLOT has a very nicely constructed set of
> *.com files for VMS but some of the routines are for DECW$.  I can't run
> DecWindows on a MicroVax II with 11MB of memory, so I loaded the basic
> support files for DecWindows.  The problem before was that PGPLOT wanted to
> link to some of the DECW libraries and use some of the DECW header files.  I
> hope they are there now.  We will see.

On the VAXstation II that I ran in college for one of the departments
we would do TEK plots all the time. The programs that did them would
send an escape sequence that would kick the normally VT100-ish
terminal emulator on screen into Tektronics 401x emulation and then
send the sequence of tektronics escape sequences to do the plot. We'd
then take a screen shot of the plot if we needed to print it quickly
(but at low quality) on the laser printer, or we'd fire up the
Tektronics Plotter and redirect the output there if we were doing
photo-ready for a conference or paper. This was all on VMS 5.4 running
DISSPLA... We did have 16MB of memory, though....

Warner