Still Looking For AT&T 3B2 Internals Docs

Jerry Kemp other at oryx.us
Mon Mar 6 18:09:32 CST 2017

On 03/ 6/17 05:24 PM, Seth Morabito via cctalk wrote:
> * On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 03:54:17PM -0600, Jerry Kemp via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> Very interesting.  I didn't start wearing a Unix hat till 1989-1990 time
>> period.  Aside from the ATT 3B2, my only other exposure to SysVR3 Unix was
>> thru Banyan Vines.
>>
>> Banyan Vines sat on top of SysVR3 Unix, and we used a lot of Banyan Vines.
>
> Very interesting, I wonder if I could learn anything from Banyan Vines?
> I recall it on the PC, but I didn't realize it was on SVR3 as well.

To the best of my knowledge, Banyan Vines was deemed an NOS, or network
operating system.  A term common, at least in my circles in the early to mid
1990's.  Banyan Vines sat on top of SysV release 3 Unix and, to the best of my
knowledge, only ever ran on top of 32 bit x86 systems.  Much in relationship,
to, at least at one time, the Novell Netware system sat on top of DOS.

OTOH, towards the later part of Banyan's existence, Banyan had decoupled their
X.500 based directory product, StreetTalk.  I understand that the StreetTalk was
available for most common Unix's on RISC processors of the day, but my only
actual, hands on experience with the directory product was on Solaris on SPARC
processors.

Although it has been since the mid 1990's since having any personal hands on
experience with any Banyan product, I do know that they are out there floating
around on the Internet.  A couple of years back, I was able to obtain a copy of
(as I understand) the last release of Banyan Vines, version 8.5, on 3.5" floppy
disk images.

Not sure if there is anything of value to you in the above rant, or if I am just
reminiscing out loud to the group over decades gone-by.

Feel free to reach out to me back channel if you believe I might have anything
that may further your ATT 3B2 emulation effort.

Jerry