PDP-11/34 rails?

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Sun Mar 5 09:48:31 CST 2017

* Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> [170304 22:34]:
[..SNIP..]
> Anyway, I've seen BA11-K boxes with several different kind of mounting
> slides.
>
> The tall, grey-coated ones are made by Chassis Trak, a division of General
> Devices of Indianapolis. The 4 I looked at, all idential looking (except for
> handedness), all had different numbers on the CT sticker, so I don't know what
> the model number is! This one says '060RH'.
[..Snip..]
> BTW, does anyone know that they grey coating is? Is it some sort of phosphate
> plating, or perhaps some sort of early powder coat, or what? Mine are rusty,
> and I'd like to blast them and get them re-coated, but I can't figure out
> what that coating is.
>
> 	Noel

The gray phosphate/nitrate coating sounds like Parkerizing.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing)

Gun parts places have home kits for doing the same (such as Brownell's
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/parkerizing/benchtop-parkerizing-kit-prod22737.aspx)

But there are other coatings that might be easier to use such as
Cerakote
(http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-non-aerosol-paints/cerakote-ovencure-ceramic-coatings-prod26563.aspx)
or even easier might be Duracoat
(http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-non-aerosol-paints/duracoat-paints-prod44374.aspx)

I haven't seen the coating you're talking about so I could be way off
base too...

Todd