Full immersion emulation

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:29:26 CST 2017

On 2017-03-01 3:39 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 03/01/2017 11:14 AM, Charles Anthony via cctalk wrote:
>> Part of the iconic mainframe experience is the cold room sounds; for early
>> Multics installations (and other systems) the sound of the Selectric
>> operator's console.
> There is no way that I'd wish anyone would have to put up with the 80+
> dB "white noise" of fans and vacuum pumps (tape drives), not to mention
> the scream of a train printer working or a high speed card punch or the
> clatter of a high-speed card reader.
.... or the wailing of the operator when he realizes he put the carriage
control tape on backwards of did not put down the brushes, its amazing
how much paper you can stuff under the cover of a 1403....

> After a few hours, your nerves  would be badly frayed.  My department
> resorted to distributing those yellow sponge rubber earplugs.
I have been in rooms where they had a box of earplugs at the door, but
that came later in my field service rep days we where told that the
noise was at a "safe" level, however I do know of at least one person
that is still in field service that now has hearing aids that are paid
for by the company.

> There are certain experiences that I would not rather relive for the
> sake of nostalgia.  Computer room noise would be right up there with
> kidney stones and root canals.   Nor would I, for the sake of nostalgia,
> want to relive a day of setting logging chokers on a steep hillside.
>
> --Chuck

Paul.