ODEC/ Data 100/ LC8-P (M8365) PDP8 printer interface schematics

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Tue Jan 31 06:45:34 CST 2017

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:27:49PM -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

> I think we had an Odec chain printer that another group gave us to
> use on our VAX.  I hacked it up to shut off the chain motor when it
> wasn't printing, and then restart it when print data came in.

Mine has a switch to select that and control codes to turn it off and on.

>  It
> had a HORRIBLE habit of running the ribbon off the track and
> crumpling the edges.  It had some bars with 45 degree angles that
> folded the ribbon over to make a 90 degree change in direction to
> the reels.  When the ribbon was just a little used, it lost some
> stiffness and started folding and rolling over the edges.  Then the
> chain would grab it and make a mess.  Otherwise, it was a REALLY
> nice printer.

Mine has the same path.  The manual has a procedure for adjusting the guides
for ribbon foldover problems.  It came with multistrike film ribbons so
hopefully they won't be a pain. Looks like they used 35mm film reels for
the ribbon. Were you using normal inked cloth? Good to know its a nice
printer otherwise. Pretty slow for a chain printer, only 125 LPM. Haven't
figured out if its a real difference or board jumpers between it and the
1423 200 LPM.