PDP-11: BC11-A cable dress between cabinets

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:05:09 CST 2017

On Jan 25, 2017 2:19 AM, "Fritz Mueller" <fritzm at fritzm.org> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've gotten to the part of a PDP-11/45 restore I’ve been working on where
I need to run a Unibus cable between the CPU box in one rack and an RK11-C
controller at the top of the next rack over. I'm a bit puzzled about how
best to run the bus cable to keep it out of harm's way, e.g. getting it
accidentally pinched or crimped while sliding the CPU cabinet in and out
for service.

> I can see there's a nice cable exit at the back of the sliding CPU
cabinet, but from there...??  Anybody have a picture or remember how this
was usually done around the slide rails etc. to avoid trouble?

> The RK05 manuals do have recommended dress for drive cables between
drives and the controller, but I haven't seen any recommendations for the
cabling Unibus between cabinets anywhere yet.

> cheers,
> --FritzM.

In the rack I have where this appears to have been done, DEC supplied flat
tie-down clamps that were positioned in the middle.  If you had say two of
these flat cables for example, you'd run both through the flat clamp, and
screw them down with the clamp cover.

I recently sold the system, I did not take a lot of pictures of the clamps,
but if I find anything I will post.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net