TS05AA drives?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Jan 20 22:30:55 CST 2017

On 01/20/2017 08:42 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 01/20/2017 05:50 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> If the drive is a CDC 92181, then it natively supports 800 (NRZI)
>> and 1600 (PE). Of course, the controller/interface could fail to
>> support the 800.
>
> I've sent an email to the seller asking the model of the tape drive.
> The listing says "TDX-50", but that's just the ISA card.
>
> I don't see any density select button on the tape control pad, however.

Hmmm, a couple places I looked seem to indicate 1600 (PE)
only.  I never used a 92181, but am quite familiar with the
92185 (1600/6250).  So, looks like it is PE, only.

The 92185 has no density select BUTTON, only an LED to
indicate high density.  Density is selected by the ID burst
on the tape, unless it is overridden during tape
initialization from the computer interface.

Jon