TS05AA drives?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Jan 19 22:12:50 CST 2017

On 01/19/2017 12:46 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> A streamer with big powerful reel servos makes me a bit
> nervous in those cases. After all, the design goal there
> is speed, not gentleness.
The CDC Keystone (92181 and 92185) drives have air bearing
hubs that sense tape tension by how tightly the tape is
pulled over the bearing.  So, the ONLY thing that actually
touches the data surface of the tape is the head and the
cleaner blade.  Still, on deteriorated tapes, it starts
getting pretty bad.  On good tapes from my archive, it just
takes a cleaning of the head after every reel.

Jon