AW: What's the rarest or most unusual computer-related item do you own?

Gottfried Specht Gottfried.Specht at t-online.de
Tue Jan 17 05:57:51 CST 2017

A HP 1300A 13" XY Display (S/N 921-00913).

This is the Product that Dave Packard gave the "HP Medal of Defiance" to Chuck House for (see his excellent book " The HP Phenomenon: Innovation and Business Transformation"). In Chucks own words:

" The new applications for this display box were compelling.  It became the first commercially available computer graphics CRT.  Beyond Alan Kay’s ‘personal computer’, Doug Engelbart bought one to experiment in the first demonstrated computer network in the famous “Mother of All Demos”.  It won a Hollywood Oscar for technical screen graphics, it was the surgery room display for Dr. Norman DeBakey’s first artificial heart transplant, and it was the basis for the TV space video of Neil Armstrong’s foot landing on the moon July 20, 1969. Seventeen thousand large-screen display units ultimately sold, for thirty-five million dollars.  Development costs were a pittance, less than three hundred thousand dollars.  Profits were in excess of six million dollars."

Kind regards,
Gottfried
_____
Gottfried Specht | Gottfried at specht-online.com |  +49 211 151695+49 151 2911 2915