PAL video in the states

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Fri Jan 13 07:59:47 CST 2017

On Fri, 2017-01-13 at 08:38 -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: William Degnan
>
>     > some are made to handle both pal and ntsc automatically. ...
> not sure
>     > if they still do all that for LCD tv's but why not?
>
> Well, one thing most LCD's don't handle is interlaced video, so that
> could be an issue.

Anything sold as a TV (as opposed to a computer monitor) will include a
deinterlacer; a TV that could only handle progressive scan input would
be unacceptable to most consumers.  Standard definition broadcasts were
always interlaced and so are most/all DVDs, though as far as I know
Blu-ray is progressive scan only.  Even high definition broadcasts are
still routinely interlaced in many cases.  ATSC for example can be
either 1080i or 720p, and I think the majority of DVB broadcasts are
1080i.

In fact, even computer monitors often tend to include some sort of
deinterlacing capability, though I suspect this is more because it
comes for free with the chipsets than because the market actually
requires it.  But monitors tend to have a minimum horizontal sync rate
of 20kHz or so and often won't lock to a 480i/576i input, so they'd be
no use for the current purpose anyway.

p.