What's the rarest or most unusual computer-related item do you own?

Tom Manos tmanos at concursive.com
Wed Jan 11 08:53:57 CST 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Jerry Kemp <other at oryx.us> wrote:
> Wow, that must have taken a lot of will power to give that up.  If I had it,
> I'm not sure I could have done that.

It was a bit of a challenge :)

It's probably the best example of such a system still in existence,
though I don't really know that for sure. It had enough spares to keep
it running forever, and they were built like tanks to run forever
anyway. I had a spare PS and spare RAM boards. I had it running on
standard SCSI2 drives so you didn't have to use the original AT&T
drives, though I had several of those too.

I'd forgotten that I also gave away a 3B2 400 in working condition
with lots of spares as well.

Over the years I had collected a ton of original AT&T software and
docs to go with it, most of which I'd gotten running.

This was the development platform for SVR4 and I had (still have,
actually) a copy of the SVR4 sources to go with. I never did try to
get that working.

Sp anyway, I was going to sell it all, but kept feeling guilty for it.
I didn't want it to end up in a museum, but wanted someone who was a
fanatic about the technology to enjoy using it on a daily basis, and
those kind of folk don't generally have that kind of cash lying
around.

I worried about it for a couple of years before I found someone who
really wanted it and I thought would take good care of it, and USE it.

I've never been happier with a decision.

Unfortunately, I did not know about Seth, and it did not go to him :(

I kept lots of digital docs for the system and wonder if that would
help him. I bet I have the assembler docs squirreled away and the
hardware references.

Tom