Polycorp Poly repair (b)log

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:47:47 CST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:53 AM, Terry Stewart <terry at webweavers.co.nz>
wrote:

> A few months ago I picked up some Polycorp Polys, a computer designed
> specifically for the educational market in New Zealand.  One worked and one
> didn't.  The latter is now fixed.  As usual I've written it up with lots of
> pictures.  If anyone is interested you can read about it here.
>
> http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2017-01-08-second-poly1-fix.htm
>
> Cheers
>
> Tez

Nice fix!  It always amazes me how little of the inside of this sort of
machine was actual digital electronics, and how much was power, video and
sometimes drives.  I brought a TeleVideo TPC-1 back to life a few months
ago, and your restoration brings back memories (some of them cringeworthy).
 -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."