Sunday brain tickler

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jan 9 10:59:47 CST 2017

On 01/09/2017 12:56 AM, Adam Sampson wrote:
> Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> writes:
>
>> I can get the raw text, but how it's linked together and what file
>> names might is still a mystery.
>
> The Lanier 103 is apparently a rebadged AES Superplus, and one owner
> says:
>
> "The word processor had some strange features, such as each page had
> to be stored as a separate file, which made adding text to page 1
> quite a chore!" http://vintagecomputers.site90.net/aes/
>
> So perhaps there's something unusual going on with the "filesystem"
> structure...

I'd seen the web page, but missed the bit about one page per file--I
don't think that's quite correct, but it's probably close.  That's
useful.  I suspect that the number in the 12th byte might be an
indication of the number of segments involved in a file.  I observe that
these are all small numbers or 0.

But that also means that what I suspect is a "filename field" is most
likely just that.  Now to figure out the decoding...

I wish there were an operator's manual for the thing around.  That alone
would clear up a lot of questions.

--Chuck