I hate the new mail system

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Feb 28 16:43:36 CST 2017

Simple question of policy (what do we WANT, not "what is the only sensible
right way"):
Do we want the DEFAULT to be replying to author, or replying to list?

Current configuration has REPLY-TO being same as REPLY-ALL,
and has REPLY being a reply to list, with the TO: line having the
inconsistent  OP's name, but list address.

That means that a reply to list (such as this one) requires a trivial
manual intervention, to delete OP's name and/or OP's address
A reply to OP requires a trivial manual intervention to delete the list
address.

Sloppy behavior, of just hitting reply without paying attention
will, depending on mail client either send to OP AND list, or to list, but
with OP's name.  (some mail programs respect "REPLY-TO", some don't)

Careless failure to check the header may mean more mail going to list that
had been intended to be private.
We don't do a whole lot of posts that would be embarrassing to see public,
. . .   ("Can we get that idiot off of the list?")

The current configuration CAN work out, if we all just make a tiny effort
to pay attention to what we are doing, . . .  Yeah, THAT will happen.

This list has always worked better than a lot of commercially hosted
lists!
Thank you!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com