Cassette Interface Assistance

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:29:53 CST 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM, allison via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The tape recorders used had no agc.  They were simple portables and used the
> mic or line input and headphone output.

I have to disagree with you there. I have just looked at the documentation for a
couple of the Radio Shack tape recorders commonly used with TRS80s, and
both have automatic gain control on recording.

It is actually quite rare to see a simple portable cassette recorder which
doesn't have automatic gain control (automatic level control). The early
Philips machines like the EL3300 are the only ones I've come across.

-tony