story of Mel

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:31:21 CST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Dicks" <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: story of Mel

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
>> I love the wisdom of Allison's remark, that
>> what some of us still see as "recent current events"
>> is "ancient history" for the youngsters.
>
> Indeed.  That break-point is entirely relative to one's own age and
> experiences... for me, "ancient history" is either pre-PET/Apple
> II/TRS-80 stuff or perhaps just "8-bit home micros", depending on the
> context.
>
> -ethan
-------

My "ancient history" is running a system consisting of an IBM 082, an 085, a 604, a 402 and a 514, the original "sneakernet"; later, after promotion to run the statistics department, a relatively rare 101.

Even made the 402 multiply (albeit slowly) when "they" said it couldn't be done; many happy memories...