PDF PDF Which is right and which is ... Was Re: PDP-11/24 CPU later version

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sun Feb 19 14:50:01 CST 2017

When  we scan stuff at  SMECC
it is saved in the following 3  formats  for  each item  scanned.

PDF  with ocr background
TIFF
JPEG
and  if   containing a lot  of  text   a  TXT  file as well.

Kind of a shotgun approach... but   should stand  test  of  time?

Ed#  _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

In a message dated 2/19/2017 1:44:52 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu writes:

> From: Toby Thain

> Often the source  material is a multipage TIFF from the scanner or other
>  processing step.

Multiple single-page TIFFs, in my case.

> So relevant tools are things like tiff2pdf (tiffutils)

But  also JPEG's, for pages where the B+W scanning I use (with fax
compression
to keep the file size down) results in pages that aren't  readable - this
happens on faded pages. Does tiff2pdf handle a bunch of  single-page
TIFF's, with a JPEG or two throw in?

Noel