New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:27:36 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't remember precisely, but I think you can export libraries from
> Eagle in some sort of text form.  If that's true, then it would be SMOP to
> write a KiCAD library importer.  The key question is whether the library
> semantics are compatible.  EAGLE is rather nice in the way it handles
> schematic symbols vs. footprints and all that.

There seem to be a few projects out there that do that. Here's one:
https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad

I recall there also being a wizard utility for creating pad arrays and such
in KiCad; haven't played with that too much yet.

> I used EAGLE long ago for one project, and more recently for another, but
> I haven't found it sufficiently useful to buy it a second time to get the
> non-free version.  Not that I really need the autorouter, it isn't really
> all that useful.  But still, it's pretty steep for a hobbyist.  I
> discovered KiCAD, haven't used it yet, should give it a try.

Autorouters anywhere seem like they're pretty much garbage.

> One nice aspect of EAGLE is that a number of PCB fab shops will accept
> EAGLE *.BRD files directly, rather than asking for Gerber and drill files.

OSH Park, who I've used the most (Advanced Circuits second), will now
accept KiCad project files, which is handy. The automated board preview
lets you quickly verify that things are correct before hitting "order."

I recently designed a board with matched-length differential traces. KiCad
made that process very easy. Push 'n' shove routing, as mentioned here
before, is also incredibly nice.

Kyle