New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:22:23 CST 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:

>> I suspect they're more common in the UK than elsewhere. They were used
>> by the Post Office
>> for the Telex service, for example.
>

> I know. Here everything is full with Siemens and Lorenz.
> Je aussi voudrais avoir une machine de Sagem...!

Over here, the only Teletypes we generally see are Model 33s. Even the Model
35 is very uncommon, and 5 bit stuff almost unheard-of. OK, we do see BRPE
punches from time to time. There was a UK company, Data Dynamics, who used
the Teletype Model 33 mechanics and put it in their own case with their own
electronics. I think they re-cased the BRPE too, in a very odd case (light bulbs
under the chad box, it looks very pretty).

5 bit stuff is generally Creed here. Teleprinters, paper tape readers, etc. And
a few real oddities. Like a keyboard tape punch (no electronic communications,
it just punches 5-level tape from the keyboard) made by a company called
Booth-Willmott who I have never heard of in any other connection,

Never seen a Siemens, Lorenz or Sagem machine.

-tony