New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:52:35 CST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:
>> This is a peripheral.  USB OTG doesn't apply, and USB-A would be
>> "inappropriate".  Pretend this is an inkjet printer.  What plug would
>> you expect to find on that?
>
> Haha :-)
> It is not an inkject printer!

Indeed, but as far as USB is concerned, there's more similarity than difference.

> But I actually have written a (very limited)
> HPGL interpreter which controls a Calcomp 565/563 plotter. So it's --
> actually! -- more a plotter.

Interesting.

>> I don't _mind_ Mini...
>
> Ok, micro is out of discussion. It won't be applied.
>
>> I have a suggestion... put 4 vias on 0.1" spacing...
>
> Ha, that's a nice idea.

Thanks.

> I'll plan in a white 90° pinhead connector - only the footprint, of course.

Yes.  Footprint only.  And I love the idea of holes in the board to
strap down the cable.

As for the connector placement on the original board, I'm thinking
it's fine for the -8/e/f/m, but it might be in an awkward place for an
-8/a.  What you have been describing for this new board sounds like it
will be good for both (conveniently for me, I have both types of
boxes...)

Thanks!

-ethan