The Biggin Hill Omnibus

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 12:52:49 CST 2017

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 7, 2017, at 4:54 AM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, not Transport For London routes 246, 320, 464, R2 or R8 :-)
>>>
>>> Some of you might like the photos here ...
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_duell/albums/72157677925921112
>>
>> Wow.  Disassembling and rebuilding motors...
>
> I'll dismantle (and often reassemble ;-)) just about anything.
> The only motors I am a bit careful with dismantling are permanent
> magnet DC ones.

I still remember the DEC field service tech repairing an RC11/RS64 fixed head disk drive with a bad motor.  He disassembled the drive to take out the spindle motor (which is also the platter spindle), sent it off to Appleton Electric Motors for new bearings, then put it all back together.  Worked just fine, didn't even lose any data.

Clearly you're working at that level, which even by the standards of 1974 professional computer technicians is right at the top of the field.

	paul