Looking for AMP / TE coaxial connectors - Memorex 651 drive

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Mon Dec 11 16:01:37 CST 2017

Mattis said
> Hello!
>
> I am about to start with the project to archive disks from the Incoterm
> system.
>
> This system makes use of the Memorex 651 drive which is somewhat odd. It
> has 64 tracks,is hard sectored with 32 sectors and spins at 375 rpm.
>
> But I do have the drive which hopefully still is working. However the
> interface connector is nothing like I seen on a floppy drive before.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/TklddLP.jpg
>

> It is a AMP 202515-1 housing. The mating 202516-1 which I need is still in
> production and available for purchase from Mouser. The small coaxial
> connectors on the other hand has a minimum order of 1000 units and costs 10
> euros each...
>
> https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/201146-2/?qs=DuOyNqEZh0%252bSNT4sy6om8Q==
>
> Does anyone know of a source selling something like three coaxial
> connectors like this at decent price?
>
> Or maybe a suggestion for another connector that could be modified into fit
> somehow? Potentially using glue to fixate it.
>
> Of course the last resort is to just solder some wires directly onto the
> drive PCB, but if there is a nice solution I try that first.

That connector looks a bit similar to the Winchester MRACs apart from the addition of some
larger holes and pins for the coax connectors. Your second link didn't work for me but
looking at the first pic, perhaps you could bodge something up out of a piece of K&S brass
rod and tubing, with some tubing spacer from a suitable dia body eg. a ballpoint pen.

For the connector body, it could be 3d printed, or make a paper rubbing and drill a block
of plastic, or simply fix the makeshift pins in then cut spacing strips of plastic to slip
through the rows and then bind and cover with epoxy.

I made a quick stopgap power connector for testing an Amiga 500 by soldering the leads
of a discarded rack server power supply to 5 small nails, worked just fine.

Steve.