OT: Argh--my old faithful HP16C is failing!

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:51:44 CST 2017

Ok I am guessing you have figured out how to take the back off? (screws
under the rubber feet) with the calculator upside down and the display
away from you there is a connector at the top right that connects the
keyboard to the electronics on the back of the display carefully  lift
that  flexible cable over the posts.  With the back off the display
module is big held in by four foam blocks that fit over the plastic
posts, gently lift the display module up and they will come with it.
The part you are going to change is just the glass of the display it is
held in place by a metal frame that has tabs folded over.  You can try
to save the thin plastic anti static wrap but it is held on with the
glue from hell so you will probably end up cutting some of it away.  The
glass part of the display is connected to the circuit board under it by
elastomer block, keep them clean any debris on them will probably result
in a segment that does not work.  Swap the refold the tabs on the metal
frame and reassemble.  You will note that on inside of the back of the
display there are hollow posts that fit over post at the keyboard
connector and display to test it before putting it all back together,
put batteries in, and hold the keyboard connector in place with your finger.

Paul.