PDP8 ALGOL

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Wed Dec 6 12:03:48 CST 2017

From: Michael Thompson via cctalk: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 4:59 PM
> The paper tape images are here:
> http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp8/papertapeImages/set3/
>
> The RICM also has an original set of the DECUS 8-213 ALGOL paper tapes, but
> they are different from the ones on Bitsavers. I need to make images of
> these tapes.

When you do, I can perhaps help with the differences, if they are not too
major.

> Students at the UMN are trying to get ALGOL to run on their PDP-12 so they
> can run some benchmarking software.
>
> We haven't been able to get DECUS 8-213 ALGOL working. Any help would be
> appreciated.

I got to the "OPT-" prompt, but after I enter "R", the simulation hangs,
repeatedly taking an un-serviced interrupt.

It would be helpful to know which of the seven images are re-initialization
or patches, and which are part of the compiler and which the runtime.

    Vince