TU-58 in simh

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:55:19 CDT 2017

On 04/21/2017 09:34 PM, Don North via cctalk wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 4:25 PM, Brian L. Stuart via cctalk wrote:
>> I've seen suggestion that TU-58s are emulated in simh on
>> PDP-11s.  However, I'm not seeing it in a show dev and my
>> google-fu is failing me to find any info on how to use it.  Any
>> pointers on how to boot from a TU-58 image?
>>
>> TIA,
>> BLS
>>
> Using simh v4.0 from github, in the PDP11 simh ini file:
>
> *set tdc enable**
> **attach tdc0 tu58.dsk*
>
> then assuming tu58.dsk is a bootable image:
>
> *boot tdc0*
>
> Only two units 0,1 are supported (just like a real dual drive) and the
> images must be 262,144 bytes in size (like a real tu58 cartridge).

I remember TDC was DECcassette (TU-60).

The boot for RT-11 would be BOOT DD:  the tape image should be built
with a DD driver or DDX for RT11XM.
Least that how it works for my physical PDP-11/23 RT11 system.
Generally all the files that should be on
a RT11 floppy needs to be on the tape.

For other OSs it first has to fit on the device and have a suitable
driver for TU58.

Allison