Did we miss the 20th anniversary of classiccmp?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Apr 21 12:54:27 CDT 2017

    > From: Bill Gunshannon

    > Surely there were Mailing Lists prior to the existence of the Internet,
    > yes?

Absolutely. They started on the ARPANet, fairly early on.

E.g. SF-Lovers (one of the first 'non-mission related' mailing lists) started
in September, 1979, and MsgGroup (an 'official-busines-related' one)
considerably earlier, in June 1975. Header-People started at about the same
time, but alas, we have lost the first two volumes of the archives, so I don't
know exactly when.

I maintain archives of these lists on my page:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/archives.html

if anyone wants a look. The variety of header formats is kind of amusing.

    > Do any Lists that started on UUCP still exist today?

Perhaps. Do you count newgroups? (Of course, UUCP considerably post-date
the ARPANet.)

	Noel