Bitsavers size

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:48:09 CDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Rob Jarratt
<robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> > The bitsavers archive is 267 Gbytes.
>> >
>> > So at 4.7G per DVD, it comes out to almost 60 DVD's.
>>
>> That is not totally ridiculous....
>>
>> Now, if I want bitsavers on paper tape....
>>

> My back of the envelope calculation comes to approximately
> 4 million miles of paper tape.

I think you're out by a factor of 10.... 267*10^9 bytes, divide by 10 as
there are 10 bytes to the inch on paper tape, and convert to miles. I
get just over 400,000 miles.

My rule of thumb is that a full reel of 1" paper tape is 100k bytes
So 10 for a megabyte
10000 for a gigabyte
2,670,000 for all of bitsavers. Perhaps nearer 3 million as it's an
approximation....

-tony