RTX-2000 processor PC/AT add-in card (any takers?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Apr 10 15:42:36 CDT 2017

On 04/10/2017 11:41 AM, Dave via cctalk wrote:
> I have a Harris RTX-2000 based system control board for a long
> defunct system.  The board worked when removed more than 20 years ago
> in the mid 90's.  The RTX-2000 is a stack-based processor designed
> for running FORTH.  I think it was designed by Phil Koopman based on
> his graduate work.  The board is a 16-bit ISA board.  It was part of
> an MRI system that ran a version of MPE forth with a C-to-FORTH
> compiler (actually a C-like variant) that spits out a 16-bit FORTH
> variant with some embedded RTX-2000 code.

That is a bit of a surprise--in my experience it takes very little code
to support Forth on any processor--that someone would build a dedicated
chip for it is unusual.

Were there any microprocessor chips that attempted to mimic the
Burroughs B5000 series and natively execute Algol of any flavor?

--Chuck