Stuffing boards with pulled QFP chips

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Apr 2 12:40:40 CDT 2017

On 04/02/2017 07:53 AM, Diane Bruce wrote:

> Read this:
>
> https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-nasa-gsfc-whisker-failure-app-sensor.pdf

There are problems with the site's certificate, but I was able to wget
the paper using the --no-check-certificate option.

Tin whiskers were a big deal around 2005-2012 or so, and then the
discussions suddenly dropped off.  I'm not sure why.

Here's a pretty good paper from about 2011 from Maxim that discusses the
issue:

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/5250

It includes a bit on the danger (or lack thereof) of using lead-based
solders in electronics.   Quite frankly, I wonder why the RoHS people
didn't mandate that lead flashing on roofs, lead canes in stained-glass
windows and a host of other applications weren't banned.

--Chuck