OT: PCI Ethernet or USB 2.0 ethernet?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Apr 1 08:41:45 CDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:44:28PM -0700, W2HX via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> The question is, whether you think I would be better off using PCI wifi card
> or a USB-wifi adapter. I should mention the USB on this instrument is USB
> 2.0, the spec for which claims up to 480 Mbps. Anyone have an opinion which
> might get me better results? The wifi infrastructure is one constant in this
> scenario, just looking to see pci- or usb-based wifi card.

Both USB 2.0 and PCI are orders of magnitude faster than real-world wifi. Even
ISA will give wifi a run for its money. I recommend you not bother with wifi if
you care about network performance.

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet dongles exist, and are cheap. They should work in
your machine's USB 2.0 port (which now becomes the limiting factor) and you can
expect to see throughput of about 300Mb/s half-duplex with that arrangement.