Is anyone making replacement clear labels for DEC gear?

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Thu Sep 29 09:16:26 CDT 2016

> Hi, All,
>
> I'm restoring some stuff from the mid 1970s and a recent acquisition
> was previously cleaned of mouse damage but needs to be sanded and
> repainted by me.  One aspect of it is that some of the labels are
> damaged (but some can probably be masked and painted around).  The
> level of damage I'm talking about looks a bit like this...
>
> http://fritzm.github.io/images/pdp11/h742-corrosion.jpg
>
> Most of the item intact, but rust and scale to be cleaned, sanded,
> primed and painted.  The damage to the label in that pic is
> representative.
>
> I have access to all the modern tools, so it's easy to print black on
> clear adhesive sheet, but not so much with white.  Before embarking on
> spinning up a process, I thought I'd ask if anyone has already done
> so.  In particular interest to me is the era from about 1965-1980,
> from PDP-8s through PDP-11s and VAX-11 machines, both CPUs and
> peripherals.  I would like to get close matches and I already know in
> some cases, there just aren't close matches with modern TrueType font
> files.  I can, of course, just take photos of the label areas now,
> restore the damage, and put on stickers some time in the future, but
> doing it all at once has its own appeal
>
> -ethan

A few months ago I made a test transparent waterslide decal to see how it
would turn out, in preparation for a larger piece.
Seeing the subject of this thread, it prompted me to make a note and put
up some photos at
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/entry.php?643-DECals

It's not difficult at all if the colours involved are not white. In
Ethan's situation however, screenprinting or vinyl stencil cutting may
work better.

Steve.