Availability of PDP-8i Front Panel

Marc Howard cramcram at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:20:25 CDT 2016

Ray,

A worthy undertaking.  However "I volunteer to accomplish the building of
the prototype system using only
the parts available at the time the orginal computer were built." is going
to be problematic.  The 8/I only came with core memory; you'd have to be a
glutton for punishment to do that from scratch.
Also replicating the card connector and backplane might require some
adjustment since you'll probably have to wirewrap that to stay reasonably
consistent.

However, most of the logic chips are available, albeit in cheaper, faster
families.

I think you'll have more fun doing this than if you decided to implement it
in an Fpga or Raspberry Pi.

Marc