StorageTek 2920 9-track manual or instructions wanted

Tor Arntsen kspt.tor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 02:05:52 CDT 2016

On 30 June 2016 at 14:33, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
> On 6/30/16 12:23 AM, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>>
>> On 29 June 2016 at 22:11, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>>
>>> there is one version of the maint manual up under stc on bitsavers now.
>>> it turns
>>> out I have several other versions, and the manual for the formatter
>>

>> I noticed there's now both an stc directory (with the 2920 manual) and
>> a storagetek directory (with 4220 and 4280 manuals). Are they not the
>> same company?
>

> Yes, STC or "Storage Technology Corporation" was the earlier name.
> Generally, if there are name changes I use the earliest name but I didn't
> have any STC docs uploaded. I'll merge the two at some point.
> I'm working on scans from about six other STC products right now.

Just for the record, some days ago I stumbled over physical manuals
for the STC 2920, to be specific 'Storage Technology Corporation 2920
Tape Subsystem Maintenance Manual, January 1986'. Volume 1 and Volume
2. Original STC binders. Volume 2 still in unopened plastic wrapping.

They're heavy and would be expensive to ship from Norway I guess. But
if in the future anyone would need them I may still have them - will
try to find somewhere to store them, for a few years at least. But
they appear to be approximately the same as is on bitsavers already.
Looking at the ebay link in the earlier post, my Volume 1 has a page
that looks the same, except that my copy has 'January 1986' printed as
well. Volume 2 is called 'Logics'. As I haven't opened it I haven't
checked exactly what's in there, and/or if that is covered by the
bitsavers scans.

-Tor