Short test programs for pdp 11/34

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Sep 22 22:26:28 CDT 2016

On 09/22/2016 08:55 PM, devin davison wrote:
> Hello, made some progress with the pdp 11/34 I picked up a while back.
> Managed to repair the faulty power supply. I am in the process of trying to
> get a minimal configuration of the machine up and running.
>
> I am looking for a short program to key in to try and test the
> functionality of the cpu. Is there anywhere aside from the DEC manuals I
> could go to get a quick idea of how to operate the front panel? The manual
> is very in depth, however i am looking for sort of a quick start guide to
> get started pretty quickly. Any site with info on how to operate the front
> panel or some quick short programs i can key in would be of interest.
The front panel is very simple.  Most of what you need is:
1. Load address (LAD button) sets the memory address for
further operations
2.  DEP deposits data in that address, and increments the
address
3.  EXAM examines data at that address, and increments the
address
4.  START starts execution at the previously loaded address
That's pretty much all you need to know.

I did use simh to show my kids what's under the hood, we
wrote a little sort program, but I don't think it was ever
in a file.  We just typed it in live.

Jon