Tektronix 4051 repair.

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 01:31:49 CDT 2016

> They look pretty bright to me for a DVST screen. Your problem looks
> 'analog', check the character blanking is working, then check the digital
> to analog, deflection etc.

I also think it is a analog problem. But since I don't understand how it
works I cannot pin point where. There are two potentiometers (conveniently
located underside the machine...) that controls the character intensity
timer and cursor intensity timer. "Intensity timer": how is that supposed
to work?

I don't think the Char Gen ROM is bad. I have seen perfectly drawn
characters. The deflection probably works to since I was able to fill the
entire screen with garbage.

Timing problem. Yes. Since it often enable the beam when just starting to
deflecting it I think that there is some analog timing circuitry that
doesn't behave well. This gives the effect of some lines are drawn from the
center of the screen.

I should have made a short video since it probably give a better idea what
is going on.

> When you hit the erase what happens ?

It erases the screen as expected.

/Mattis