Need help: DSD-440 with unresponsive formatter/control board

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Tue Sep 20 13:34:36 CDT 2016

On Sep 20, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Julian Wolfe <jrw at lolqb.us> wrote:

> So the DSD-440 I got at VCF is completely unresponsive.  All of the LEDs are on and never go out, which is bizarre - they are supposed to go out in 1/10 of a second after power on.
>

> I tried disconnecting everything but power to the card, and it still lights all LEDs.  No jumpers that I could find are in the wrong spot, but many are seemingly undocumented ( I looked in both the 1981 user manual and 1984 service manual on Bitsavers).
>

> The drive just spins and does nothing else.  Altering the switches on the control board do nothing to change the state of the LEDs
> I measured voltages at the power supply, and they seem to be within spec according to the manual.
>

> Are there any other things I can try before I start digging into things on a component level?

This is a failure of the  DC  Power Up/Down circuit - See page 3-10 + 3-53/54 in June 83
Service Manual.   If the components in this circuit (capacitor) are out of spec, then this may be the cause.

Congrats on picking it up. I was tempted to bid for it as well, but I already filled had my boat anchor quota.

Is the Green LED on?

Jerry