Subjects, Topics and Threading

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Sep 14 17:48:28 CDT 2016

On 9/14/2016 3:30 PM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:

> On 9/14/2016 4:58 PM, Dale H. Cook wrote:
>> At 05:42 PM 9/14/2016, Steven M Jones wrote:
>>
>>> How do you justify making everybody conform to your preferred behavior?
>> I don't, but the behavior and archiving of this list is bound by the
>> software that it runs under.
>>
>> Dale H. Cook, Contract IT Administrator, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
>> http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html
>
> I'm the one who last changed the subject of the aforemetioned thread
> (which is now not this thread).  It was my first time renaming a
> thread, and I'm confused as to what I did wrong.
>
> How is sending a new email any different than replying / changing
> subject line?
>
> Thanks,
Leaving the original subject or a contraction of it is good, unless you
start a totally new topic, and copy some bit of the original. Most
readers will thread the whole thing together anyway from info in the
email headers, so there is no harm in adding a hint as to where the
thread branches.

Lotus could do hierarchical discussion threads, but this is had no way
to surface branches and yet retain the origin.

Thanks
Jim