For sale 128K Core RAM Industrial PDP 11/40 Massbus System

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Oct 31 09:48:56 CDT 2016

> On Oct 31, 2016, at 10:26 AM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Given 128K core, wouldn't one be able to save the OS in core, no need to
> load what would need to "get started" from a diskpak?  The data would be on
> the tape drives, and something on stand by to re-load the OS back into core.

Only if the OS implements the ability to resume from a power failure without reloading from disk or tape.  Few do.  Perhaps some flavors of RSX, I don't know.  RSTS V4A, when built with the power fail handling option, could do so.  Later versions do not; they unconditionally reboot (from disk) at powerup.

	paul